- Floral wire (30 gauge)
- Wire cutters/Pliers
- Seed beads
- Elastic headband
- Felt (enough for backing your beaded leaves so the wire doesn’t poke you)
- Needle and strong thread (button thread works very well)
~6-8 hours for a palm-sized leaf bundle
How to Make it Happen:
|Step 1- Choose headband|
1) I just bought a blank headband with a built-in place to sew in my leaves- you can also make your own by sewing a piece of felt to a strip of elastic or elastic headband.
|Step 2- Prepare your wire|
2) This is the start of your leaf. Take an approximately 3-4 foot piece of wire for a leaf about as long as your thumb and twist the wire as shown so there is a piece just over twice as long as you want your leaf to be (the right side wire in the picture) and a long side that you will use to build up the leaf (the left side). The loop at the bottom should be a few inches long as it acts like the stem of the leaf (which is how you’ll twist the leaves together).
|Step 3- Add beads|
3) Now, string enough beads on the right side so that it is about a fingernail length shorter than you want the final leaf to be (there are the white beads in the picture). String lots of (blue here) beads on the left side- these will be used to add bulk to your leaf.
|Step 4 - Begin wrapping the leaf|
4) Take the left side wire and wrap it around the short wire at a 45 degree angle- around the front, around the back, then down the right hand side. Wrap the blue bead wire around the bottom of the leaf (front-back-front) straight across, which will keep the bottom of the leaf flatter. The 45 degree angle at the top will give the leaf a pointed tip.
|Step 5 - First leaf done!|
5) Keep adding beads and wrapping until you’re happy with the size of the leaf. To end, wrap the blue bead wire around the base of the leaf and trim it flush. Bend the short (white bead) wire down the back of the leaf, wrap it around the base of the leaf, and trim flush. One leaf down! Repeat until you have enough leaves for your headband (I used ten leaves of varying sizes).
|Step 6- Bunch of leaves|
6) Gather your leaves by twisting their loops together and arrange as you see fit. Now it’s time to assemble the headband.
|Step 7- Add felt|
7) Cut a small piece of felt and sew it in place around the twisted wire loops. This will keep you away from sharp wire ends and make the leaves look more finished.
|Step 8- Sew onto headband|
8) Sew the leaves onto the headband, and try on your work!