|Spicy Chocolate - Amish Style|
Makes approx. 2 dozen whoopie pies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp unsulfured molasses
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa (special dark if you can find it)
- 2 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 oz milk chocolate chips
- 1-1 1/2 tsp chipotle powder (use 1/2 -1 tsp if you don’t want much spice)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 3 Tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
~2 hours (including baking and assembly time)
How to Make it Happen:
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Cream butter until fluffy.
- Add sugars and mix.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and molasses, stirring between each addition.
- Mix flour, cocoa, salt, cinnamon, chipotle powder, and baking soda separately. Add to butter mixture in parts, alternating with milk.
- Beat 1-2 minutes until smooth, then add chocolate chips and mix to incorporate.
- Drop by Tablespoons onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes.
- Allow whoopie pies to cool completely before assembling. Since whipped cream only holds up a day or two, try not to make the filling until the day you’re planning to eat them. The whoopie pies will stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few days until you’re ready to assemble them.
- Using a chilled bowl and beaters, beat the heavy cream on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla to the heavy cream.
- Continue beating on medium speed until the whipped cream forms stiff peaks.
- Assemble whoopie pies by spreading a large dollop of filling on one cookie, then sandwiching it with another.
- Enjoy! These can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 2 days.